[Aug 14]--Responsibility

Matt. 11:20-24

Dr. R.C. Sproul, one of the most prominent theologians of our time, says that the most frightening verse in all Scripture is Jesus’ statement that “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” Today’s passage is along those same lines.

Imagine for a moment two Christians. One of them (me) is in America, the other in the Middle East. I, as an American, can go into any Christian bookstore and pick from hundreds of Bibles: different translations, different study notes, leather vs. paperback, etc. I have hundreds of churches within my city, and many of them preach God’s word faithfully. I can turn on my radio or TV, and be exposed to some really great preaching (OK, so some of it’s not so great, but still. . . ). I can go online and get access to commentaries from some of the greatest Bible teachers in history, much of it for free.

On the other hand, the Middle Eastern Christian has only access to portions of God’s word. He frequently exchanges his portions with other believers’ portions so he can read what he can. He has to meet in secret, and the preacher/teacher in his meetings might not have any more theological training than he does. No access to Christian bookstores, TV, or radio.

Now this is not to condemn American Christians, or at least that’s not my purpose. I just want to ask a simple question. The Bible says that each of us will give an account of ourselves to the Lord, as believers. Do you think that he'll hold the Middle Easterner to the same standard as he does me? I have access to so much of God’s word and Bible study helps (preaching, teaching, commentaries, etc.), and he has very little.

This is why Dr. Sproul said that's why Luke 12:48 is so frightening to him, and today’s passage should give us pause. Jesus is very upset over opportunities that we let slip. Are we taking advantage of the vast resources he's showered us with? Are we being obedient to what he’s revealed to us?

And there might possibly be someone reading this who hasn’t placed his faith in Christ. This passage is especially meant for you. If you’ve been living in America, you’ve had access to the Gospel like no one else in all history. I promise you, the Judge is watching and recording. And according to Jesus’ own words here, he will hold you more accountable than someone who's barely or never heard. Please listen to his voice, right now. If you haven't read my summary of the Bible in one verse, please read this.

Lord Jesus, I squander so many opportunities, and I’m not very obedient to what you’ve revealed to me. Please help me. Change me. Help me to live up to what I’ve learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment