[July 12]--A Little Prose

Matt. 5:13-16

Wait a minute, didn’t we just look this passage yesterday? Yes, we did, but I had to share this little prose, since I didn’t have space for it yesterday. I’ve had it in my Study Bible for years, and it’s always prodded me to reach beyond my comfort zone.

I simply argue that the cross be raised again

at the center of the market place

as well on the steeple of the church.

I am recovering the claim that

Jesus was not crucified in a cathedral

between two candles.

But on a cross between two thieves;

on a town garbage heap;

at a crossroad of politics so cosmopolitan

that they had to write his title

in Hebrew and in Latin and in Greek. . .

And at the kind of place where cynics talk smut,

and thieves curse and soldiers gamble.

Because that is where He died,

and that is what he died about.

And that is where Christ’s men ought to be,

and what church people ought to be about.

-- George MacLead

Lord Jesus, give me your eyes. Let me see the people in need around me, whom you purposefully put in my path, just so I can represent your love to them. Give me the courage to share you with them, to BE you to them. Thank you for the privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment